Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sisters

I have two sisters, both of whom I love dearly and both of whom I rarely see. It is not that I would not love to see them much more often, but many miles divide us. Still, we are sisters and that bond is unbreakable and above all, precious.

I recently read a book by Julia Glass entitled I See You Everywhere. This is the story of Louisa and Clem, the "serious" sister and the rebel. The two tell their stories in alternating chapters, tracing the story of their lives over the years. As they move further apart geographically, they grow closer emotionally. This is a funny, heart-rending story that is beautifully written. Although both sisters could be difficult and prickly, I liked them and found them to be both honest and real. I found myself hoping for a happy ending with the two sisters rocking on a porch in the sun as they enjoyed their old age.
I guess sisters are a rich topic for fiction. In my library's catalog there are over 250 books listed under the subject "Fiction - Sisters". Some of my favorites are:

Desirable Daughters by Bharati Mukherjee
The Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
How to be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward
Last Summer (of you and me) by Ann Brashares
Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Wilde Women by Paula Wall

These books demonstrate that relationships between sisters range from affection and caring to competition and rage. The stories are entertaining and funny and sad and sometimes emotionally difficult.
And to my sisters who are so far away....I am thinking of you, miss you and love you......

No comments: