Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween

Every Halloween for the last ten years I have joined all the other Main Street merchants in dressing up and closing early to give out candy to the children of my community. I have always said that one of the things I like best about owning a bookstore is that I have had the opportunity to dress up in silly costumes much more often than most adults. I have dressed as a clown and a witch and a giant mouse and a witch and a gypsy and a witch. (You have to forgive the repetition but I just have the best witch's hat!). The first year, I was the only one standing in front of The Open Book, guarding the cauldron of candy. This year we have a large volunteer crew joining in on the fun.

I am lucky to live in a small town that closes down Main Street so that kids can safely celebrate getting lots of candy and dressing in silly/scary costumes. And, if I do say so myself, this town is lucky to have independent business owners that spend their own money on Halloween candy and close their businesses so kids can have some fun. So on Halloween and on every day, don't forget to shop locally and support the businesses that support your community.

No comments: