Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the bookmamas. Mothers Day makes me think about all of my children: the two great girls that I gave birth to and the many "adopted children" that have come to me through The Open Book. When I opened the bookstore, I imagined ordering books and talking to customers and selling and stocking shelves. I barely gave a thought to the people who would come to work with me. What an amazing surprise it has been to find so many people that have loved the store and become part of my extended family.



I find that the people who want to work at the bookstore tend to be creative and hungry for life. Whether they are writers or actors or students or filmakers or artists, they pursue their dreams and find joy in the daily world. The people who have worked with me in the past and those who work with me now have entertained and enlightened me. I have laughed so hard while working that I have literally had to sit down on the floor to catch my breath. From the Open Bookies I have received empathy, concern, friendship, moments of complete silliness and love.


So, on this Mother's Day, this Bookmama is grateful for the inestimable joy given to her by her daughters and for the unexpected happiness brought to her by her bookstore kids.


No comments: