Sunday, November 20, 2011

Final Open Book Gala

The process of closing The Open Book has been a grueling one.  It feels like attending an extended wake.  The Open Book family is sad, the customers are sad and the shelves are beginning to look empty.  I have always enjoyed coming to the store, now unlocking the door is bittersweet.

And then Antonella had an idea.  Antonella worked at The Open Book in 1999, the very first summer.  She has remained a dear friend of the bookstore as she has gone from a bright college student to a professional young woman. Whenever she comes to visit, she gets put to work selling books and charming customers.  Antonella said that we needed a party......a final gala to send the store out in style.

So last night we held the Final Open Book Winter Gala.  Friends, customers, employees and a few confused passer-bys paid a $5 cover charge to come into to a balloon filled store.  Wonderful food and wine was provided by Antonella and Jane.  We held a bake-off and ended up with some delicious desserts.  Some of us were in costume; literary characters from Valley of the Dolls, Perks of Being a Wallflower, David Copperfield, Les Miserables and the Bible were in attendance. People ate and drank and shopped for books.  It brought the happiness back to The Open Book and made me remember all the good times we have enjoyed over the years.

Now we have about a month left in business.  In that month I want people to feel the spirit of the bookstore.  Not the sadness of closing, but the happiness and hilarity and kindness and intelligence that I hope have always infused this business, no matter where we were located.

Mostly, I want people to feel my gratitude.  I know that I am incredibly lucky to have had this bookstore in my life for nearly 13 years.  I know that I am blessed by the friends that have come into my life because of The Open Book. I say thank you every day for the adventure this has been and the way my life has been enriched by a little store full of books and joy.

No comments: