Friday, February 25, 2011

Waiting For Jodi

As a bookstore owner, I have played host to many authors over the years.  From the launch party for Justin Kramon's Finny, to the impromptu Dr. Ruth afternoon to the lovely Christian McLean and his Duckhampton, I have been lucky to meet people who love to write and have put their words out into the world.

Soon we will be hosting another wonderful author.  Way back in 2000, a popular author published a book called Salem Falls and was kind enough to come to Westhampton Beach for lunch with the bookclub and a book signing.  Twelve years later, this author is extremely POPULAR and is coming back.  Jodi Picoult is an author that draws hundreds of people to her booksignings and we are going to get to be her host again.

I am thrilled, it goes without saying.  But I am also a little nervous. This is the kind of event that goes beyond the four walls of my tiny bookstore.  I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the space, the chairs, the books, the lines, the people.  Will my customers be happy?  Will Jodi be happy?  Can The Open Book pull this off?

I think we can.  With every employee and a few volunteers, we will welcome Jodi Picoult and musician Ellen Wilber on March 5th to celebrate the publication of the new book Sing You Home.  She will speak in the beautiful ballroom overlooking the ocean at the Westhampton Bath and Tennis Club.  We have strategies to make the autograph line move along smoothly and plans to have plenty of books available for sale.  Bagels and coffee will be offered at the store after the signing.

What makes me really happy is how excited my customers are.  When you get to meet someone who has taken you to another world with their stories, it is a treat.  When you read their books in the future, you will hear that author's voice and intonation.  It adds an extra layer to the experience of reading.  I am so happy to be able to offer that to my friends and customers. 

Just another reason why being a bookseller is an amazing profession.......

No comments: