Friday, September 3, 2010

Lollygagging

I have gotten terribly behind on my reading. The chaos of the summer, getting the girls ready for school....oh, you have heard all my excuses before. But here it is September and I have only read 52 books this year. Will I ever make 100?? Stay tuned.

I am tempted to dive into Jonathan Franzen's Freedom despite its immense length and my limited time. The Corrections is one of those novels that I still remember years after I read it. I am not sure that I would say that it is a novel that I loved, but it certainly made an impression on me. Early reviews of Freedom and a quick reading of the first chapter have intrigued me. I am also interested in the debate over whether this book would be classified as "women's fiction" had it been written by a woman. Jason Pinter, one of my favorite mystery authors, interviewed two prominent women authors, Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner, in the Huffington Post regarding their views on this debate.


A book that I did take time to read this summer and truly loved was Lets Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell. I wrote a long review of it for the Rogers Memorial Library "By the Book" blog. I love this book for its fine writing and lovely description of a friendship. If you have a chance to pick it up, please do.

So I need to stop writing and start reading! Come by the store and tell me what you have read that you loved this summer.

And, as always, keep those pages turning.....

1 comment:

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

I've been lollygagging, too...although much more than you have! Thanks for the recommendations!