Saturday, August 8, 2009

Westhampton Beach in the Summer

It is Richard's birthday in a few days, and all bookstore employees get a cake baked by Sara for their birthday.  Unfortunately, we are out of stuff to make frosting, so an early morning trip to Waldbaums was required this morning.

I do every thing I can to avoid going to our local grocery store.  It is poorly stocked, badly lighted, expensive and the people that work there are surly, at best.  But I thought that 7:30am on a Saturday would be bearable.  I thought wrong.  There were hordes of people, including screaming children in pajamas and people who probably never went to bed last night. There  was a line at the checkout and the man in front of me tried to take my bagels.  Way too much stimulation and interaction for that early in the morning.

Back safely in the minivan, I headed for home, a straight mile down South Road, a quick turn and then safely in my driveway.  This is what I encountered on my journey:

A little man in tennis whites "jogging" down the road.  His running style was reminiscent of a high school majorette, arms pumping and knees popping up to heaven enthusiastically.  His eyes were on the horizon and his face carried a dogged determination.  

Two working men on bicycles on one side of the road, pumping hard on the pedals of their old bikes, while on the other side a scrum of brightly costumed cyclers took up half of the road on bicycles that probably cost more than the other two guys make in months.

Finally, a peacock.  Yes, a peacock,  wandering aimlessly around the center of the road.  I stopped and waited patiently while he (it was a he, fancy feathers and all) decided whether to head north or south.

I have really earned my morning coffee today........

No comments: