Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bloomsday

Happy Bloomsday!  Every year on June 16th, people from around the world celebrate the genius of James Joyce.  The protaganist of Joyce's Ulysses was a character named Leopold Bloom - thus, Bloomsday.

I would like to say that I have read Ulysses, but I don't want to lie.  I have always found James Joyce to be a little intimidating.  I did, however, just finish the most wonderful book in which the main character was named after Leopold Bloom.  In celebration of that book, I am honoring this day with a review.

Pat Conroy's South of Broad will not be published for a few more months, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a galley of the book.  I have been a Pat Conroy fan for years, loving both Beach Music and The Prince of Tides.  I love his writing and feel that his descriptions of place put you right there.  But it has been a while since I read him and I wondered if the older me would be touched by his writing.

The book is truly wonderful.  I fall in love with books on occasion and this one has me head over heels.  The characters, the setting, the heart-wrenching love between parent and child and husband and wife, the long, long friendships, the beauty of Charleston, the cruelty of people and nature all combine to form that gem of a book that haunts you long past the turning of the last page.  

No comments: