Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Many Faces of Jane

I just love Jane Austen. Her books are like mashed potatoes on a snowy day, filling and comforting. I have read and re-read all of her books many times. I don't really have a favorite, but lately I have been intrigued by the many different ways in which you may consume the classic, Pride and Prejudice. Of course, there is always my favorite, the Penguin Classic paperback, but you may be suprised at the appearances this timeless story makes in different packages.


There are the movies, both the classic version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier and the more recent version with Keira Knightly. In 1995, the BBC produced a wonderfully long and luxurious (6 hours!) version of the book in a miniseries starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Mr Firth again reprised his role as Mr. Darcy in the modern day take on this story in Bridget Jones Diary.

Now, coming in April we can look forward to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, a story described as "the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action". I think I hear Jane Austen whirling in her grave....


Finally, I found the following site that condenses the plot of Pride and Prejudice into a Facebook Status Update page. Austenbook lists the changes in relationships and announces the events that drive the plot. My favorite listing is "Lydia Bennet and Kitty Bennet joined the group 1,000,000 Strong Against the Officers Leaving Meryton {join!}".
So you can choose your Pride and Prejudice.....black and white or color, with or without zombies. For me, give me a rainy day, lots of tea and the 6 hour miniseries. I know I almost know it by heart, but it always draws me in.


No comments: