Monday, August 18, 2008

Bookstore Stories


How could I have possible lived this long without reading this wonderful little book? Beth the Librarian told me about it last Friday and by Friday at midnight I had read it and added it to my list of the very best books ever. This small gem of a memoir tells the story of a New York writer and the people who work at a small London bookshop and the correspondence between them in the years following World War II. Apparently there is also a wonderful film starring Anne Bancroft.
There are other books that feature bookstores and their caretakers. Here is a list of a few of them:
Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Bookstore by Suzanne Strempek Shea
The Bookshop: A Novel by Penelope Fitzgerald
The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley
The Kings English: Adventures of an Independent Bookseller by Betsy Burton
I realize that not everyone is as obsessed by bookstores and bookselling as I am, but all of these books are little windows into a world that has kept me interested and learning for almost ten years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i think you need to see this :)

http://cdn-0.11piecesofflare.com/d1/stickers/5545/2640/nom_normal.jpg